[Home] [Calendar] [Testimonials]
Discounts] [Walking] [Cycling] [Attractions] [What's On/Activities] [Food and Drink]
Ferries] [Beaches] [Fossils] [Environment Policy] [Conditions] [Contact Us] [Links]
Holiday Cottage Environmental Policy
Our principally aim is to provide a holiday
environment that is as relaxing and enjoyable as possible.
While we are providing our principal aim we also
wish to be environmentally responsible and support the island and Fair
- We have reduced our energy usage by use of
good insulation, eco light bulbs and temperature displays to help our
- The building is all electric and our supply is 100% green energy.
- Our main bank we use is the Co-op bank.
- We also use www.1and1.co.uk as a web
site provider, they are currently the only green web space provider.
- Green waste is recycled into our 4 compost bins.
- We are including more and more environmentally
friendly products to maintain the accommodation and products that the
- We try to assist our guests by providing
information about local services and attractions, the local tourist
office is the village post office/grocery store.
- We are trying to encourage cycling and walking
and have installed a secure bike rack with a cover, chain and padlock
their are also bike tools for maintenance, and now water supply outside
from a rain water butt and watering can, there is also a brush
and bucket in the stable to help cleaning. We have installed
a boot scrapper, brush and crevice tool and will be making additions
improvements to facilities in the near future. We are starting our own
walks via our walking page.
- A separate special bin is provided for compostable material which we
use for our own vegetable production - we currently have four large
- The building and grounds fall within an Area
of Outstanding Natural Beauty and we are continually trying to improve
the green environment around the Carriers Stable to provide privacy and
a better environment for birds and the local red squirrels. You can
often see pheasants picking up seeds that have fallen out of the bird
feeder or in season eating the berries from the 'Pheasant Bush' if the
- We have added bird box, bat box.
- Banking for the running of this business is
via the Co-op Bank (Ethical bank with green policies and funding) using
the local post office in the village to deposit and withdraw or via
- Possible water leakage from external pipes is
- Some water from the roof is saved into two
water butts for watering. Guests are encouraged to use some safe waste
water from washing up to occasionally water the pot plants on the patio
during summer that way we don't have to come over to water. Drive area
and patio have a permeable under layer to increase water absorption to
avoid local water problems and reduce watering.
- If there are any further improvements that we
can make we would be grateful for any suggestions, a suggestion book is
provided for visitors.
- We support environmental initiatives by the
council and other local bodies.
- We promote walking, cycling and use of public
transport. There is a local bus service, and there is a covered new bus
stop at the bottom of the road for Southern
Vectis buses to all areas of the island. There is now an additional
voluntary bus service https://www.fytbus.org.uk/
Route D (flag down service) which now visits the village.
- We do not advertise other than via paperless